Lately I’ve had a serious sweet tooth and those gorgeous granny smiths were just calling my name!
Caramel apples are a great make ahead treat that can be given to guests, served at a party or just a little Saturday afternoon snack if you’re like me.
– Granny Smith Apples (tip- look for apples that don’t tilt)
– Soft Caramel Chews (around 1/3 pound per apple)
– Toppings (tip- ice cream stores sell toppings which saves $ and you get a better assortment!)
– Remove the stem and wash and dry your apples
– Hammer the lollipop stick through the center of the apple
– In a saucepan, melt your caramel on a super low heat stirring constantly (be patient so as not to burn it)
– Once the caramel is ready, roll your apple through the hot caramel coating all sides
– Immediately pour toppings over the outside of the apple
– Place on wax paper to dry
The process was fairly simple but I might try adding milk next time to make the caramel a bit thinner.
FYI- Don’t touch the caramel before it has had a chance to dry. It gets hotter than it looks and my finger sure would have appreciated this tip. Ouch!